Saturday, February 12, 2011

BRAVO to my fellow Blog-Mates

When deciding whose responses to look more closely at, I decided to not read some of my shall I say ‘top-hit’ blogs (sorry Sarah!). Why not take chances, right? What I found was very interesting and pleasing...

The first response I will talk about is Marek’s response to ‘Please Don’t Take My Air Jordans’. Marek clearly has a strong voice which I completely admire, since I like to think I have one too. Also, Marek starts off by, you know, giving a brief summary of the poem, questioning things etc and then comes up with this amazing and unique interpretation of what the gun symbolizes! When reading this poem myself, I honestly didn’t look twice about what the gun may mean. I kind of just decided I thought the poem was weird, and that was the end of it! Not only is Marek’s interpretation unique, but it’s so justified in a sense that I now completely see a new side of the poem. I think that is truly the sign of a great response.

The second response I will say ‘bravo’ to is Julia’s, on once again ‘Please Don’t Take My Air Jordans’. Her interpretation, though more similar to mine than Marek’s was, is also eye-opening. I love how she turned the immediate reaction to the main character completely around. No more is he simply a bad kid, but a kid that doesn’t know who he is anymore! Julia also made her interpretation more convincing and real by putting her personal experience touches on it. Overall, it was a very sophisticated and well backed-up response.

The last response to a poem I am going to credit is Molly’s response to ‘My Papa’s Waltz’. She brings up a good point: any poem can be interpreted differently, based on how you apply it to your life and mood. In this response, Molly also asks many ‘thought-provoking’ questions about the poem. Lastly, I love how Molly sort of described her thought process of analyzing the poem, something which is crucial to coming up with ideas and questions.

In general, I think a good response has to have a strong voice, a unique angle on the subject backed-up with personal things, elaborations on ideas, some questions for the reader to think about etc. Though not mentioned above, I also enjoy reading Sarah’s blog, Micaela's blog, Tomin’s blog, Alberta’s blog, Lena’s blog, Ana’s blog, Fiona’s blog and Sammie-Jo’s blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment